INFORMATION FOR INFRACTION VIOLATIONS
THIS SECTION APPLIES TO INFRACTION CHARGES ONLY!
If your ticket is marked “Information and Summons”,
you are charged with a criminal misdemeanor.
The information that follows DOES NOT apply to you.
If your ticket is marked “Complaint and Summons”,
you are charged with a noncriminal offense or offenses,
and the following information DOES apply to you.
The following offenses are mandated court appearances. THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE LIST. If you have questions, please contact the Clerk's Office by TELEPHONE for more information. You must appear in court on the appearance date listed on your ticket:
§ Driving While Suspended (§9-24-19-1)
§ Any Insurance Violation (§9-25-8-2 or §9-25-4-1)
§ Possession of Paraphernalia (§35-48-4-8.3) *Repealed as of 7-1-2015
§ Child Restraint Violation Under 8 years of age (§9-19-11-2)
§ Aiding or Inducing a Minor (Aiding Unlawful Possession) (§7.1-5-7-15)
§ Minor Operating a Vehicle between .02 to .08 B.A.C. (§9-30-5-8.5)
§ Any Alcohol Violations (§7.1-5-7 or §9-24-6-15/16 or §9-30-15-3/4 or §9-30-5-8.5)
§ Failure to Yield to Emergency, Recovery, Utility Service, Solid Waste Hauler, Road/Street/Highway Maintenance Vehicle (§9-21-8-35)
§ Overweight violations more than 10,000lbs (§9-20-4-1)
§ Blue Lights or Red/White Lights or Red/Blue Lights on Vehicle (§9-19-14-5.5 or 36-8-12-11)
§ Possession of False ID or Misrepresentation of Age by minor (§7.1-5-7-3 or §7.1-5-7-4)
§ Failure to Comply with Law Enforcement (§9-21-8-1)
§ Provocation (§35-42-2-3)
§ Stopping of parking in fire lane §9-21-16-5.5(a)
§ Illegal Passing Stopped School Bus §9-21-12-1
*If you are charged with a Misdemeanor charge and an Infraction charge from the same incident, this information does not apply to you.
*If you are charged with any Infraction charge listed above plus an additional Infraction charge that is not listed above, you must appear in court for all charges.
Defendants under the age of eighteen (18) must appear in court with a parent or legal guardian.
WHEN TO APPEAR IN COURT:
- If you have been cited for a "Court Required Appearance" charges, then you must appear on the appearance date located on the bottom of your ticket. This is for your Initial Hearing only.
- The officer who issued the ticket is NOT required to be present for the Initial Hearing.
- You may pay your ticket without appearing in court (see below). Excluding charges that are mandated court appearances.
- Terre Haute City Court is at 8:30am EST Monday through Friday excluding holidays.
- Please CLICK HERE for a list of court holidays.
HOW TO CONTEST/PLEAD NOT GUILTY:
- You may contest or deny the charge against you (plead not guilty).
- CLICK HERE for more information
HOW TO PAY YOUR TICKET:
This section only applies to charges that are not mandated court appearances!
- You may plead guilty or plead “no contest” and have your case disposed of without appearing in court.
- Please CLICK HERE for more information on submitting payment and current list of fees and court costs.
- For information relating to the Vigo County Prosecutor's Infraction Deferral Program, please CLICK HERE.
- Submitting payment and pleading guilty or "no contest" will result in your refusal to participate in the Infraction Deferral Program (if eligible).