Infraction Deferral Program
The Vigo County Prosecutor's Infraction Deferral Program is offered by the Vigo County Prosecutor's Office to certain individuals. If eligible and all terms and conditions are met, at the end of your informal probation period the charge is dismissed.
Individuals must meet eligibility requirements to participate in this program. In addition, certain offenses are not eligible for this program. Below are the general guidelines. You must read the Infraction Deferral Agreement form to decide if you are eligible:
- If you were charged with an offense(s) that requires you to appear in court, you cannot participate in this program.
- Individuals with Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Endorsements or any type of Chauffer (CH) Endorsements are not eligible
- If you were charged with a misdemeanor offense in addition, you are not eligible for this program.
- If you have previously participated in this program within the last twelve months, you are not eligible for this program.
- Certain previous convictions prohibited you from participating in this program. Examples are Operating A Motor Vehicle While Intoxicated (OVWI), Reckless Driving, Vehicular Manslaughter, Leaving the Scene of an Accident and Driving Under the Influence (DUI).
- Your court case cannot be in a referred status. This means if you have been referred for Failure to Appear or Failure to Pay and your license is suspended, you are not eligible to participate in this program.
- If you have lost your Infraction Deferral Agreement form or did not receive a form in the mail, please call the Clerk's Office at 812-232-3375 and another form will be mailed to you
- Please wait ten (10) business days after the issuance of your citation before calling
- If you decline to participate in this program, a conviction for the traffic offense you were charged with will be sent to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. This may result in your license being suspended, imposition of re-instatement fees and/or requirements to provide proof of financial responsibility.
- To determine if you are required to appear in court, CLICK HERE to access your court case. If you have a Hearing Date listed, you MUST appear in court on that date and cannot pay your courts costs and fees prior to appearing in court.
You may submit the form electronically by clicking the link at the bottom of the page (paying by credit card). This option is only available to those who pay by credit card.
The Vigo County Prosecutor's Office offers an Infraction Deferral Program to eligible individuals. You may pay by:
- Mail - include your completed deferral form with your money order
- In Person - bring completed deferral form to City Clerk's Office with cash, money order or pay by credit card (fee applies)
- On-line - see link below to complete electronic deferral form and then submit payment by credit card (fee applies)
NOTE: Your citation must be docketed before payment can be submitted. Please check website to see if your case is docketed. Click here for instructions. If submitting payment for a case not found during search of mycase.in.gov, please call City Clerk's Office.
- No conviction will appear on your driving record
- There are no classes to attend in association with this program
- You cannot receive another traffic citation for six (6) months
- The traffic citation is dismissed after a six (6) month probation period
NOTE: The City Clerk's Office will not send personal information regarding
- Driving While Suspended
- Operating Without Proof of Financial Responsibility
- Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility
- Any charge resulting from/relating to an accident which caused personal injury or property damage
- Unreasonable Speed
- Speeding in a Worksite/Workzone
- Failure to Yield to Stationary or Moving Emergency Vehicle
- Failure to Yield to Recovery Vehicle
- Failure to Yield to Pedestrian
- Speeding greater than 25 miles per hour over the posted speed limit
- Any light/lamp violation
- Stopping or Parking in Fire Lane
- Any Unlawful Stopping, Standing, or Parking of Vehicle Violation
- Funeral Procession Violation
- Disregarding Police Officer, Following Fire Apparatus Responding to Alarm, Failure to Stop at Railroad Crossings
- Any registration/license plate violation
- Any violation involving the operation of a Commercial Motor Vehicle, School or Church Bus
- Any violation not involving the operation of a vehicle
- Any equipment violation
- Any leaner's permit violation
- Illegal passing of a school bus
To pay by Credit Card please click here.