Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the GIS Portal? GIS (Geographic Information System) is an interactive tool that allows users to view information about a specific geographic location. This web site allows you to view a variety of information including property information (property owner, parcel information, zoning, etc), infrastructure locations (sewer, roadways, railroad, etc), and much more.
- How do I find out who owns a property? By clicking on the link for our GIS system, you will be able to search for property by address, owner's name, or parcel number.
- Is a license required to work in the City of Terre Haute? A license is required to work inside the city limits of Terre Haute. For information on obtaining a license, please refer to the Licensing and Permitting section of this web site.
- Are permits required to work in the City of Terre Haute? Permits are required to work inside the City limits of Terre Haute. If the homeowner is doing their own work, they are required to purchase a permit. If a Contractor has been hired to perform the work, they must obtain the permit. Please refer to the Permitting section of this web site for more information.
- How much does a building permit cost? The cost of a building permit is based on the value of construction. It is $15.00 for the first $1,000 worth of work and $1.00 for each additional $1,000 or part thereof.
- How do I find out the status of a condemned property? We have two inspectors who condemn property inside the City limits of Terre Haute. If you contact our office at (812) 244-4903 or email us at email@example.com with a property address, one of our inspectors can give you information on the status of the condemned property.
- The tree in my tree row is dangerous and needs evaluated, who do I call? You would contact the City of Terre Haute Citizen Contact Center at 311 or by clicking here.
- My sidewalk is dangerous, who do I call? You would contact the Transportation Infrastructure Manager. He can be reached at (812) 244-4903 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I would like more information on the tree planting and tree care, who do I contact? You would contact the Urban Forester. She can be reached at (812) 244-4903 or at email@example.com. You can also click here for more information regarding trees.